As a homeowner, have you ever wondered how often you should replace your drain pipes? If so, we have the answer for you! We also have great maintenance tips. We’re always here to help answer important plumbing questions!
The Answer: It Depends
Depending on your pipe’s material, you can expect different lifespans. Typically, brass pipes last 40 to 70 years, copper pipes may exceed 50 years, and steel pipes last 20 to 50 years. In addition, cast iron pipes can last between 75 to 100 years. You should replace your pipes if they exceed their lifespan or if you notice plumbing issues.
Drain Pipe Maintenance Tips
To help your pipes last, you can adopt routine maintenance and practices. Here are three things that can help:
- Clean your drains once a week. Use baking soda, white vinegar, and warm water to break down the material in your drains and clear away build-up.
- Be mindful of what you pour down your drains. Cooking grease, food, and hair are examples of things that can create a clog in your pipes.
- Flush your drains with hot water. This will also break down material and excess build-up.
Signs You Need To Replace Your Pipes
Though your drain pipes should last several years, you will sometimes need to replace them sooner. The plumbing difficulties listed below are signs that you need new pipes.
- Discolored water: Brown, yellow, red, or orange water is a big sign that you need your drain pipes replaced. Rust can deteriorate and flow into your water supply, making it dangerous to consume.
- Consistently clogged pipes: If you notice consistent clogs, it can mean that you have a deep clog within the pipe itself or a potential sediment buildup. No matter the cause, you may need to replace the pipes.
- Frequent leaks: Though leaks are a common plumbing issue, frequent ones can signify that you need to replace your pipes. Call a plumber for help If you notice frequent leaks.
- Aged pipes: As previously mentioned, your drain pipes have an age limit. If your pipes are older than their projected lifespan, it’s time to replace them.
We hope you gained helpful insight after reading our guide that answers the question, “How often should you replace your drain pipes?” If you’re seeking drain pipe replacement or dealing with plumbing issues, you should contact Sewer Renewal Specialist. A sewer and drain specialist can help you with all your plumbing needs! Give us a call today.